How do I put on hosiery without putting a run in it?
Fine garments require special care and this begins with properly putting on your pantyhose. Make sure hands are smooth and keep fingernails and rings far away from your pantyhose. Wearing gloves specifically designed for putting on pantyhose or smoothing hands with a little lotion will also help in the handling of your pantyhose.
1. While seated or standing, gently gather your hosiery with both hands down to the toes and slip your feet into the pantyhose, one at a time.
2. Carefully stretch the length of the garment over your knees. one at a time
3. (If wearing garters. Otherwise, skip to step 4.) Attach the front garter to the front of the stocking straight down from the origin of the strap, and continue working around the leg until finished. A mirror comes in handy here.
4. Guide the garment with both hands over your thighs and hips, (if wearing stockings or stay-ups, making sure the height ends at the same spot on both legs).
5. Continue stretching the pantyhose until the waistband is comfortably in place.
How do I care for my pantyhose?
Hand Wash Instructions
1. Hand wash your pantyhose in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Do not bleach.
2. Rinse your pantyhose very well in clear, cool water
3. Drip dry. Dry away from direct heat, and do not iron.
Machine Wash Instructions
It is not recommended to machine wash your hosiery; if you do machine wash,
1. Place your pantyhose in a mesh hosiery bag or a pillowcase to avoid tangles and snags.
2. Machine wash in a gentle cycle with mild detergent. Do not bleach.
3. Hang dry. Do not machine dry.
How do I know that I am buying the right size product?
Most manufacturers try to take the guess work out of buying legwear. You’ll need to know your accurate height and weight to reference your ideal size by using the size chart on most products. We highly recommend that you move a size up if you fall to close to the limit of a size range. We encourage you to read our product reviews for proper fit.
What is a cotton-lined gusset?
Typically found in the crotch area of pantyhose, tights, leggings, capris & panties; cotton-lined gussets provide hygiene protection and added comfort.
What are support pantyhose?
Support may be divided into light, medium and firm support, with the denier ranging from 20 denier at the lower range to 140 denier at the upper limit. Support pantyhose were developed to minimize leg fatigue and to help improve circulation. Support pantyhose are ideal for prolonged standing, sitting and long distance travel.
Why are some legwear styles more difficult to put on than others?
Technical hosiery, such as items featuring shaping or compression elements, can be a little more challenging to put on. Shaping garments generally feel tighter when worn so that they deliver on their promise, and are therefore slightly more difficult to put on.
Always make sure that you are buying the right size product for you, and feel free to go up a size if you aren't certain of a proper fit.
Does hosiery provide any SPF factor?
We found a study that explored the issue. They discovered that a 15 denier stocking provides an SPF of less than 2. They also recommended that if a wearer wants photo protection, they should choose hosiery with a minimum denier of 40.
Specifically, scientists, "found that SPFs increased from about 1.5 to 3.0 for black stockings ranging from 10 to 40 denier; there were statistically significant differences in SPFs with colour (higher for darker colours) and site (higher at the distal calf than at the proximal calf); and for every colour and denier of stocking tested, UVA and UVB were absorbed equally." REFERENCE: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9068740 )
If I wear SPF or bug repellent on my legs, will that adversely affect the hosiery fabric?
Hosiery is a delicate fabric, and many bug repellants and sun blocks have ingredients that are not kind to it. If you are concerned about either issue, perhaps change your outfit to suit the conditions, skip hosiery altogether, or opt for pants.
What are the panty styles associated with pantyhose & tights?
Control Panty: flattens the tummy and smooths thighs
Invisible Control Panty: totally sheer panty that flattens the tummy and smooths the thighs
Regular Panty: reinforced for extra durability, has no shaping benefits
Multi Shaper Panty: offers multiple shaping benefits for tummy, hips, and/or thighs
Mid-Thigh Panty: compression panty with extra shaping control for the tummy, hips, and thighs.
High Waist Panty: a panty that terminates below the bra line, cinches waist, and shapes tummy, hips, and thighs.